TORONTO, Sept. 25 (UPI) -- A Canadian man in southwestern Ontario has been confirmed to have the H1N1 virus, or so-called swine flu, provincial health officials said Tuesday.
The unidentified man was being treated at an undisclosed southwestern Ontario hospital, Ontario's chief medical officer of health, Dr. Arlene King, said in a statement.
The man had been in close contact with pigs, CTV News reported. However, King said the case was a rarity.
"I would like to reassure Ontarians that this variant influenza virus rarely spreads from animals to humans," she said. "Subsequent human-to-human transmission is also rare."
The doctor also said the safety of eating pork wasn't a risk if recommendations are followed.
"Proper cooking of meats, including pork, kills all bacteria and viruses," King said.
The last global pandemic of H1N1 peaked in November 2009, the Toronto Star said. More than 11,000 people died in that outbreak.
|Additional Health News Stories|
REYKJAVIK, Iceland, June 19 (UPI) --Iceland's new prime minister this week cited the country's mackerel fishing dispute with the European Union as a prime example of the value of sovereignty.