TACOMA, Wash., July 10 (UPI) -- A Washington state man learned the hard way that the metal bristles on brushes used on barbecues can be dangerous if swallowed.
Adam Wojtanowicz, 31, of Tacoma could not figure out what was causing his severe stomach pain, which he described to KING-TV in Seattle as "like being stabbed in the gut." He tried painkillers and antibiotics and then went to Tacoma General Hospital.
Dr. Steve Norton examined Wojtanowicz's CAT scan and saw a thin metallic object. He had just read an article about the risks associated with barbecue brushes and knew what he was dealing with.
Norton had to operate to remove the bristle. He calls the barbecue brushes "a huge public-safety issue" and the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta said it has received at least six reports of injuries from people swallowing the bristles.
The bristle could have caused potentially fatal intestinal leakage if it remained in place, Norton said.
Wojtanowicz said he probably swallowed the bristle during a recent barbecue he hosted.
"This solidifies the fact it's the most expensive steak I've ever bought," he said.
|Additional Health News Stories|