Vegas Luxor guest dies of Legionnaires

Jan. 31, 2012 at 4:35 PM   |   Comments

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 31 (UPI) -- A guest who stayed at the Luxor Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas in December and contracted Legionnaires' disease has died, Nevada health officials said.

Brian Labus, a senior epidemiologist at the Southern Nevada Health District, said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has not released the patient's name or when he or she died, the Las Vegas Sun reported Tuesday.

Health officials found Luxor water samples tested positive for Legionlla bacteria.

Gordon Absher, vice president of public affairs for MGM Resorts International, said super-heating and super-chlorinating water was used to kill the bacteria in the area where the deceased guest stayed, within a day the test results were confirmed, Absher said.

Within 10 days the hotel will undertake a voluntary remediation for the rest of the hotel, Absher said.

"We take this very seriously," Absher told the Sun said. "Health of our guests and our employees is of paramount importance to MGM Resorts."

The Luxor also developed a monitoring plan to prevent this from occurring, Labus said.

Last spring, two guests staying at the Luxor also became ill with Legionnaires' disease, but both recovered.

At the time, the health district collected bulk water samples for an environmental assessment, but no Legionella bacteria were detected, officials said.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
Cutting carbs, not fat, key to weight loss and heart health
Human brain can be trained to prefer healthy foods
Daughters more likely than sons to care for elder parents
India asks Pepsi to cut down on sugar in its soft drinks
Yoga guru BKS Iyengar dies at 95
Trending News