Tips offered for using combustible heaters

Dec. 25, 2011 at 9:37 PM   |   0 comments

ATLANTA, Dec. 25 (UPI) -- With winter here, U.S. government officials remind those heating with wood stoves, fireplaces or space heaters to follow manufacturer's instructions.

Officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta warn that fireplaces, wood stoves and other combustion heaters must be properly vented to the outside so they do not leak deadly flue gas into the indoor air space.

They also remind residents:

-- Do not burn paper in a fireplace.

-- Ensure adequate ventilation if you must use a kerosene heater.

-- Use only the type of fuel your heater is designed to use -- don't substitute.

-- Do not place a space heater within 3 feet of anything that may catch on fire, such as drapes, furniture, or bedding, and never cover a space heater.

-- Never place a space heater on top of furniture or near water.

-- Never leave children unattended near a space heater.

-- Make sure the cord of an electric space heater is not a tripping hazard but do not run the cord under carpets or rugs.

-- Avoid using extension cords to plug in your space heater.

-- If your space heater has a damaged electrical cord or produces sparks, do not use it.

-- Store a multi-purpose, dry-chemical fire extinguisher near the area to be heated.

-- Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector and never using generators, grills, camp stoves or similar devices indoors.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Trending News
Join the conversation
Most Popular
Photos
Video
x
Feedback