LAS VEGAS, Aug. 13 (UPI) -- A frozen fruit product is suspected in an outbreak of typhoid fever in Clark County, Nev., that left four people ill, health officials said.
The Southern Nevada Health District said Friday the cases of salmonella typhi, the bacterium that causes typhoid fever, are part of a two-state outbreak believed to be a result of consuming a frozen fruit product called mamey fruit pulp, the Las Vegas Sun reported.
All four patients were under the age of 30 and have recovered, the district said.
Local authorities are working with the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to investigate the outbreak, which has also sickened five people in California, the district said.
Mamey fruit pulp, also known as zapote or sapote, comes from a fruit grown in Central and South American countries and is often used in shakes and smoothies.
It is especially popular in Hispanic communities.
The health district and the CDC are recommending that people avoid food items made with the Goya brand of frozen mamey fruit pulp, which has been voluntarily recalled, the Sun reported.