Warning: Children eat glass ornaments

Dec. 17, 2009 at 1:04 AM
| License Photo

BOSTON, Dec. 17 (UPI) -- Holiday decorations -- particularly glass ornaments -- are one more safety hazard parents must consider during the season, a U.S. physician says.

Study co-author Dr. Lois Lee of Children's Hospital Boston's Division of Emergency Medicine reviewed records from the Children's Emergency Department and found an average of five ornament-related injuries per year. More than half of the injuries involve a child eating fragments of ornaments, including batteries and pieces of glass, Lee said.

"Parents need to be vigilant during the holiday season, even though it's also a busy time of year," Lee said in a statement. "If you know that your child has a tendency to put things in his or her mouth, you should be especially careful."

The study, published in the journal Pediatric Emergency Care, found out of a total of 76 cases from October 1995 to March 2008:

-- 56 percent involved ingestion or taking fragments of ornaments or light bulbs into the mouth; more than a quarter of these injuries resulted in bleeding of the mouth or gastrointestinal tract.

-- 27 percent of cases involved lacerations; more than two-thirds of lacerations required surgical repair.

-- 85 percent of cases required radiological screening.

-- Three patients were examined for potential toxin exposure.

-- Two patients experienced minor electrocution.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Pepsi to release 'Back to the Future Part II' inspired Pepsi Perfect
Nobel Prize in medicine awarded to parasitic disease scientists
Womb transplants begin in U.K. after Sweden's success
Gay Vatican priest comes out day before Pope Francis begins synod on family issues
Scientists find roadmap that may lead to 'exercise pill'