facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Conn. teen seriously hurt 'huffing'

Sept. 24, 2009 at 12:54 PM   |   Comments

CANTON, Conn., Sept. 24 (UPI) -- A 13-year-old Connecticut boy lost both his hands and suffered serious tissue damage when he purposefully inhaled propane gas, police said.

Canton Police Chief Lori Coppinger said the unidentified teenager clearly did not understand the risks associated with inhaling, or huffing, propane gas, which immediately left him with severe frostbite to his eyes, lungs, mouth and throat, The Hartford (Conn.) Courant reported Thursday.

"My heart just goes out to that family, to the boy," Coppinger said of the Sept. 8 incident. "He didn't understand the ramifications of what he was doing. Hopefully, other kids will become aware of this and not do it."

Coppinger said as a result of his injuries, both of the teen's hands had to be amputated.

An unidentified spokesman for the Connecticut Children's Medical Center said the teen was initially placed in a medically induced coma, but has since recovered and is in good condition.

The Courant said the National Institute on Drug Abuse identifies adolescents between the age of 12 and 17 as the age group most likely to engage in huffing, or inhalant abuse.

© 2009 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Richmond hospital patient tests negative for Ebola Richmond hospital patient tests negative for Ebola
2
CDC's Frieden admits uncertainty over Texas Ebola transmission CDC's Frieden admits uncertainty over Texas Ebola transmission
3
Want a soda? Take a 5-mile walk to burn the calories Want a soda? Take a 5-mile walk to burn the calories
4
Morning exercise helps calm ADHD symptoms in children Morning exercise helps calm ADHD symptoms in children
5
Yoga guru BKS Iyengar dies at 95 Yoga guru BKS Iyengar dies at 95
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback