Clostridium difficile naturally resides in the body and releases toxins in the bloodstream when it becomes overpopulated, The Glasgow Herald reported Saturday.
In Scotland, the bacteria was linked to 597 deaths in 2007 and 765 in 2008, a record high, Scotland's General Register Office reported.
Pressure is mounting for national health officials to investigate, said Patricia Ferguson of Glasgow, who represents Scotland in the British Parliament.
Ferguson has teamed with Michelle Stewart, whose mother-in-law was killed by the bacteria. Medical record-keeping regarding her mother-in-law's illness was a "shambles," Stewart said in calling for nationwide probe.
Exploding whale video goes viral on Internet
Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over Sarah Palin comments