The Swedish agency said the unidentified 50-year-old victim from the city of Karlskrona was likely infected with Chlamydophila psittaci bacteria while cutting down a tree that contained a birds nest, The Local reported Wednesday.
The agency recommended that anyone who potentially may come in contact with wild birds or their byproducts be cautious and wash their hands thoroughly.
Parrot fever, also known as psittacosis, can be spread from infected birds to humans.
Any potential cases of the infection must be reported immediately to the disease control agency and to local health agencies' infectious disease specialists, the Local said.
The agency said Sweden saw a total of 129 cases of parrot fever between 1999 and 2008 with annual reports ranging from two cases in 2006 to 29 reports in 1999.
The Local said one percent of all reported parrot fever cases result in fatalitites.
Couple calls 9-1-1 over missing hash browns; assault McDonanld's employees
Video of Victoria’s Secret models trying to 'twerk' hits Instagram