The dancer, whose name wasn't reported, had the Dumeril's boa constrictor — named Rocky — wrapped around her shoulders as she danced and at one point the non-venomous snake bit her on the inside of her left arm, MTV reported.
The snake's handler, who was watching the rehearsal, immediately removed the snake from the stage and the dancer was treated by an on-site medic. The dancer was then transported to a local hospital in "an abundance of caution," Chris Velvin, director of production safety for Viacom Media Networks said.
"It is in no way life-threatening, but scary," Velvin added. "We wanted her to start getting treatment as soon as possible."
Rocky, who has had a 15-year-old career in the entertainment industry, will not be used for Sunday's VMA performance of Anaconda. Another boa or a python will be brought in instead.