NEW YORK, July 3 (UPI) -- U.S. actor Alec Baldwin told Vanity Fair magazine he has deleted his Twitter account and doesn't intend to ever tweet again.
Baldwin was criticized last week for tweets he posted in which he verbally attacked a British journalist who reported Baldwin's pregnant wife Hilaria had tweeted through actor James Gandolfini's funeral.
Hilaria denied the report, explaining she posted messages on Twitter after she left the service early because she wasn't feeling well.
Baldwin later issued an apology for calling the journalist "a toxic little queen."
The former "30 Rock" star has since deleted his Twitter account and told Vanity Fair he plans to avoid the social media service in the future.
"I went to Jimmy Gandolfini's funeral, and when I was there I realized Jimmy Gandolfini didn't have Twitter," Baldwin told the magazine. "Jimmy Gandolfini was so beloved as a person, and he was so admired as an actor, and he didn't give a [expletive] about social media. I really learned a lesson at the funeral. I said to myself, 'This is all a waste of time.' Meaning it's fun sometimes, but less and less, and less. It's just another chink in your armor for people to come and kill you."
TVGuide.com said Baldwin previously deleted his Twitter account for a while in 2011 after he had an altercation with American Airlines staff who told him to stop playing "Words with Friends" on a flight. He also briefly quit tweeting last summer after marrying Hilaria.