UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

TV

Spike picks up 'Cops' after Fox cancellation

|
 
Published: May 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM

NEW YORK, May 7 (UPI) -- U.S. cable network Spike TV says it will start airing fresh episodes of the police-themed reality program "Cops" in September.

Fox recently canceled the show after 25 seasons.

Kevin Kay, president of Spike TV, announced details regarding the show's future Monday.

"'Cops' is a remarkable series that has been able to sustain strong ratings well into its third decade, a monumental achievement in television," Kay said in a statement. "As we continue to grow and expand our audience, new episodes of 'Cops,' with its loyal audience of Adults 18-49, is the perfect addition to our prime-time lineup on Saturday nights."

"After 25 seasons with Fox, we are delighted to find our new home with the Spike family where we previously aired 'Undercover Stings,'" said John Langley, president of Langley Productions and the creator of "Cops."

"And we are doubly pleased that our 'Cops' time slot remains Saturday nights for our fans. It may be bold to say, but we are looking for yet another record-breaking run with Spike."

"Cops" premiered March 11, 1989, and, thus far, includes more than 900 episodes. The show has followed officers in 140 different cities in the United States, as well as in Hong Kong, London and the former Soviet Union.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Actress Amanda Bynes says she had a nose job
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional TV Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
I f o r o n e w e l c o m e o u r m e n i n g i t i s c a r r y i n g g i a n t s n a i l o v e...
The number of people applying to live on Mars is now up to 78,000. Strangely, every application...
Jimmy Carter named the most trusted politician in the country. All the rest are pretty much tied...
Texas Congressman Steve Stockman (R-ifle), who wants to arm fetuses, is raffling off a Bushmaster...
Media finally ponders whether self-proclaimed psychics and mediums are hacks. Sadly, this is not...
Today's Fark-ready headline: 'My husband draws the line at having sex with a troll mask on'