Gandee, 21, his uncle and a friend died eight days ago of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning after the truck in which they were off-roading broke down and the exhaust pipe was submerged in mud, authorities said.
Radio station WCHS reported many people at Gandee's Sunday memorial wore camouflage in his honor, as his family had requested.
"A lot of people would say it's the redneck thing. But that was just Shain," Gandee's friend, Glen Goff, told the radio station. "Shain was an outdoorsman. He loved being in the mud. He loved to hunt and fish ... . He was a nice guy."
E! News said MTV, the cable television channel that aired "Buckwild," paid for Gandee's funeral expenses.
Production on Season 2 of the rural reality show was shut down after Gandee's death.
'True Detective' adds Kelly Reilly