facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Leno took 50 percent cut to avoid layoffs

Sept. 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM   |   Comments

| License Photo
LOS ANGELES, Sept. 8 (UPI) -- "The Tonight Show" host Jay Leno took a 50 percent pay cut to prevent staff layoffs at the show, an NBC Universal representative said.

The pay cut, which protected the jobs an unreported number of employees, was to the tune of $15 million, CNN reported Friday. Leno also extended his contract until September 2014, the representative, whose name was not reported, said.

The network had laid off 20 to 25 employees last month in an attempt to adjust "The Tonight Show's" expenses to be more in line with typical late-night programming costs, a source, whose name was not reported, told CNN.

Even more employees would have lost their jobs had Leno not taken the pay cut.

Leno took over hosting duties from Johnny Carson at "The Tonight Show" in 1992. He took a brief break from the show and time slot three years ago when NBC moved him to prime time to host "The Jay Leno Show."

He was moved back to the 11:35 time months later slot due to poor ratings for the prime time show.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Marisa Tomei, Hugh Grant go to school in 'Rewrite' trailer
2
LeAnn Rimes jokes she lost virginity by raping boyfriend
3
Kyra Sedgwick is Deputy Chief Madeline Wuntch in new 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' promo
4
Kenya Moore denies rumors she's dating Kordell Stewart
5
'Jay Leno's Garage' special to air Sunday on CNBC
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback