"Safety is always of paramount concern," the cable network said in a statement Wednesday. "We maintained the highest safety standards throughout production, higher in fact than any protocols existing in horse-racing anywhere with many fewer incidents than occur in racing or than befall horses normally in barns at night or pastures. While we maintained the highest safety standards possible, accidents unfortunately happen and it is impossible to guarantee they won't in the future. Accordingly, we have reached this difficult decision. We are immensely proud of this series, the writing, the acting, the film-making, the celebration of the culture of horses, and everyone involved in its creation."
"The two of us loved this series, loved the cast, crew and writers," producers Michael Mann and David Milch said in a joint statement. "This has been a tremendous collaboration and one that we plan to continue in the future."
The announcement came after The Hollywood Reporter said a third horse had been injured on the set and euthanized this week, prompting People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals to call for its cancellation.