Perry made headlines when he lost his train of thought this week during a debate in Michigan. The politician said he would eliminate three cabinet-level agencies from the federal government if elected president, but then could only name two -- Commerce and Education. Later in the debate he remembered the third as Energy.
He appeared on Thursday's edition of "Late Show" and read a Top 10 list called "Rick Perry Excuses."
It went as follows --
10. Actually, there were three reasons I messed up last night: 1) the nerves and 2) the headache and 3) um… uh… oops.
9. I don't know what you're talking about -- I think things went well.
8. I was up late last night watching "Dancing with the Stars."
7. I thought the debate was tonight.
6. You try concentrating with Mitt Romney smiling at you. That is one handsome dude!
5. Uh, El Nino?
4. I had a five-hour energy drink six hours before the debate.
3. I really hoped it would get me on my favorite talk show, but instead, I ended up here.
2. I wanted to help take the heat off my buddy Herman Cain.
1. I just learned Justin Bieber is my father.
Celebrity Breakups and divorces of 2014 [PHOTOS]