facebook
twitter
search
search

Universal scraps 'Dark Tower' plans

July 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM
| License Photo

LOS ANGELES, July 19 (UPI) -- Hollywood's Universal Pictures says it no longer has plans for a film and television franchise based on author Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series.

The studio and filmmaker Ron Howard said last year they wanted to make three movies and two seasons of a television series inspired by King's western-tinged fantasy novels and starring Javier Bardem as main character Roland the Gunslinger.

EW.com said Universal told Howard it now feels the project is too expensive and risky to mount.

Howard's Imagine Entertainment retains the rights to the property, however, and is free to begin talking to other studios and networks about it, the entertainment news Web site said.

Howard did not immediately return a call requesting comment on the future of the screen adaptations of the King saga, EW.com said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Sherri Shepherd to pay $4K per month for her disavowed child
Tamera Mowry, Adam Housley welcome baby girl
Tiger Woods denies affair with Amanda Boyd
Maci Bookout shares first photos of daughter Jayde
Brandi Glanville slams 'Real Housewives' co-stars