UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Anastacia recovering after a double mastectomy

  |
 
American singer Anastacia attends the premiere of "Tropic Thunder" at Odeon, Leicester Square in London on September 16, 2008. (UPI Photo/Rune Hellestad)
American singer Anastacia attends the premiere of "Tropic Thunder" at Odeon, Leicester Square in London on September 16, 2008. (UPI Photo/Rune Hellestad) 
License photo
Published: Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 1 (UPI) -- U.S. pop star Anastacia says she is recovering from a double mastectomy, following a second breast cancer diagnosis earlier this year.

The 45-year-old singer successfully battled the disease in 2003, but learned last winter it had recurred, forcing her to cancel a planned concert tour.

"In light of Breast Cancer Awareness Month l wanted to take the opportunity to support a cause particularly close to my heart," the BBC quoted Anastacia as saying.

"l was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time earlier this year and am currently in the final stages of recovery after undergoing a double mastectomy," she said. "It has been an intense journey, but l am feeling great and ready to start the next chapter. Breast Cancer Awareness Month gives all who are facing this disease a chance to gain strength and support from each other. Early detection has saved my life twice. I will continue to battle and lend my voice in any way I can."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Little Richard says he suffered a heart attack
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Music Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Photoshop this off-course submarine
Don't have the heart to tell your bride and her parents that you forgot to book the hall for the...
Can we have a R.I.P. for the country's oldest Medal of Honor recipient? He was just a Bayonne guy...
Deputies searching for the two men who climbed through a McDonald's drive-thru and robble robbled...
Elementary school bans tag, children "running in packs"
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...