NEW YORK, Sept. 1 (UPI) -- The organizers of New York's Electric Zoo canceled Sunday's show after two concertgoers died of apparent drug overdoses.
Sunday was to be the grand finale of the electronic dance music festival, but the show organizers said on their Web site the show would not go on.
"Because there is nothing more important to us than our patrons, we have decided in consultation with the New York City Parks Department that there will be no show today," the notice said.
A 20-year-0old Rhode Island woman and a 23-year-old man from Rochester died at New York hospitals Saturday in separate overdose incidents. Four other patrons were also brought in for treatment of overdose symptoms.
City officials believes the victims had taken MMDA, a drug similar to ecstasy that is known on the streets as "molly," the New York Daily News said.
The New York Police Department issued a written statement crediting the promoters for working to reduce "health risks" at the festival, "but in view of these occurrences, the safest course is to cancel the remaining day of the event."