Dylan Farrow has been getting support from the public after alleging she was sexually assaulted by U.S. director Woody Allen, a newspaper columnist said Sunday.
Nicholas Kristoff of the New York Times told People Magazine that Farrow was "really heartened by the response and support she is getting" after she laid out the allegations in Kristoff's column this weekend.
"She sends a big thank you to all those speaking up about sexual abuse and trying to break the silence," said Kristoff, who has been a family friend of Farrow's mother, actress Mia Farrow.
Dylan Farrow, 28, wrote that she was molested by Allen when she was 7 years old and had been traumatized ever since.
"That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up," she wrote. "I was terrified of being touched by men. I developed an eating disorder. I began cutting myself."
Allen had no immediate comment on Dylan's allegations; however, CNN noted they had been raised in the past by her mother, who dated Allen from 1980 to 1992. Mia Farrow accused Allen of misconduct with Dylan in 1992, but authorities did not charge Allen due to a lack of evidence.
Dylan said she decided to come forward more forcefully due to a recent spate of Hollywood honors for Allen, including three Academy Award nominations for his new release, "Blue Jasmine."
Cate Blanchett, the film's star, declined direct comment at an appearance in Santa Barbara, Calif., the Hollywood Reporter said.
"It has obviously been a long and painful situation for the family and I hope they find some resolution and peace," she said.