facebook
twitter
search
search

Amanda Bynes cuts deal in bong-tossing case

Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM
| License Photo

NEW YORK, Jan. 10 (UPI) -- Amanda Bynes has agreed to see a counselor twice a week for the next six months as part of a deal to settle her New York bong-tossing case, officials said.

"I understand that after a period of six months has expired, if I have complied with the conditions set forth below the charges will be dismissed," the New York Daily News quoted the actress as stating in an affidavit signed Dec. 19 and presented in court by her lawyer Friday.

"This is an important step in her rehabilitation," Bynes lawyer Gerald Shargel told the newspaper. "I am optimistic about her future and pleased with the result."

Bynes, 27, was charged last year with marijuana possession, evidence tampering and reckless endangerment after police said she threw a foot-long, glass bong out of the window of her Manhattan apartment.

Bynes has been living with her parents in California after months of inpatient treatment for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.

The actress was arrested multiple times since April 2012 and has been accused of driving while intoxicated, hit-and-run and driving with a suspended license, in addition to the alleged bong-tossing offenses.

Bynes is the former star of the TV sketch comedy series, "The Amanda Show." Her film credits include "What a Girl Wants," "She's the Man" and "Hairspray."

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Jennifer Lawrence and Gwyneth Paltrow may become neighbors
Sean Penn and Minka Kelly spotted on dinner date
Facebook makes surprise change in its logo
Miley Cyrus says she's proud of coming out
Kendall Jenner breaks Kim Kardashian's Instagram record for most-liked photo