Cause of Paul Walker car crash won't be determined for months

Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM
| License Photo

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 12 (UPI) -- The police investigation into the car crash that killed actor Paul Walker is expected to take another 90 days to complete, The Hollywood Reporter said.

Detective Jeff Maag told the entertainment industry trade newspaper Wednesday more work needs to be done before the cause of the wreck is officially determined.

Although some media reports have claimed the Porsche was going at least 90 mph at the time of the collision, Maag said that is speculation and all he is comfortable saying is the car was traveling at least 45 mph when it hit a tree and light pole the afternoon of Nov. 30 in Santa Clarita, Calif.

Walker was a passenger in the car, which was driven by his friend, Roger Rodas, who was also killed.

"We're creating a factual diagram -- mapping the scene," he told THR. "To the extent that we can, we need to rule out mechanical failure. But the car is a mess."

The newspaper also said a makeshift memorial had been created by fans at the accident scene and investigators tried to leave it intact for as long as possible out of respect for the mourners

It was removed Tuesday.

Walker's remains were released to a mortuary Monday after the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office completed an autopsy and determined he died of traumatic and thermal injuries as a passenger in the fiery crash. He was 40.

Toxicology test results are not expected to be released for about seven weeks, THR said.

Related UPI Stories
Topics: Paul Walker
Latest Headlines
Trending News
Disneyland's new annual pass tops $1,000
Watch 'SNL' send up Donald Trump
'MacGyver' revival in the works at CBS
Tori Spelling reveals she slept with '90210' co-star Jason Priestley
Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz to kick off club tour Nov. 19