UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Emergency call to Cruise's home was swatting hoax

|
 
Actor Tom Cruise attends the Japan premiere for the film "Jack Reacher" in Tokyo, Japan, on January 9, 2013 in Tokyo, Japan. UPI/Keizo Mori
Actor Tom Cruise attends the Japan premiere for the film "Jack Reacher" in Tokyo, Japan, on January 9, 2013 in Tokyo, Japan. UPI/Keizo Mori 
License photo
Published: Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif., Jan. 18 (UPI) -- Beverly Hills, Calif., police say a report of shots fired at actor Tom Cruise's home was another in a series of swatting pranks involving celebrities.

It was unclear whether the "Jack Reacher" star was home at the time of Thursday's incident, which was under investigation, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The call did not originate inside Cruise's home and nobody had been arrested for making it, Beverly Hills Police Sgt. Renato Moreno told the newspaper.

"No emergency, everyone safe," the police department said in a Twitter post after the incident.

Swatting involves people calling police to report a non-existent emergency at a specific location, occasionally sparking the deployment of a SWAT team.

The Times said celebrities Charlie Sheen, Miley Cyrus, Simon Cowell, Ashton Kutcher and Justin Bieber have all been the target of similar hoaxes.

Topics: Tom Cruise, Charlie Sheen, Miley Cyrus, Simon Cowell, Ashton Kutcher, Justin Bieber
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Movies Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
Radioactive products from the last century: toothpaste, chocolate, suppositories. What were we thinking?...
School dedicates a portion of its website to a student who just died. Fark: And that's how the parents...
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army