Schwarzenegger to star in new 'Conan' film

Oct. 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM
| License Photo

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 27 (UPI) -- Arnold Schwarzenegger, after a lengthy time out to serve as governor of California, is reprising his role as Conan the Barbarian, a film producer said.

"The Legend of Conan" is scheduled to be released in 2014, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday.

Fredrik Malmberg, the movie's producer, told Deadline Schwarzenegger's role is that of a "mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life."

"He knows he'll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle," Malmberg said.

"Conan the Barbarian" made Schwarzenegger a star in 1982. Since then he has made many movies, married a member of the Kennedy family, served as governor and seen the end of his marriage to Maria Shriver amid the news he fathered a child out of wedlock with their housekeeper.

"I always loved the Conan character, and I'm honored to be asked to step into the role once again," Schwarzenegger said in a statement.

Since leaving office in 2011, Schwarzenegger has appeared in "The Expendables 2," and has two movies currently in post-production and others in various stages of planning.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Bill Cosby deposition in sex assault case to be sealed
Taylor Swift graces cover of GQ in skin-tight beachwear
Daniel Craig 'done' with James Bond after 'Spectre'
Celebrity airport style: What the famous wear when they travel
Rihanna announces eighth studio album 'Anti'