facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Ron Howard bemoans space shuttle end

July 16, 2011 at 1:44 PM   |   Comments

1 of 2
| License Photo
HOLLYWOOD, July 16 (UPI) -- Director Ron Howard said he was sorry to see the United States wind down the manned space program that has been a source of pride and technical advances.

Howard, who directed "Apollo 13," told Parade magazine he had been in awe of space launches since the heroic days and regretted the idea that some other nation would provide the advances that had been coming from the United States.

"I hate to give it up on a level of romance and human exploration, because somebody is going to do it," Howard said. "On a practical level, I sort of hate to forfeit that pole position in technological breakthroughs and exploration."

NASA is in the midst of its final space shuttle flight and has no plans for a follow-up program involving putting astronauts into space.

"All that is of course weighed against the needs of the nation at this moment, but I fear it's shortsighted," Howard said.

Topics: Ron Howard
© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
'Sons of Guns' canceled after Will Hayden's arrest
2
'Jay Leno's Garage' special to air Sunday on CNBC
3
Kyra Sedgwick is Deputy Chief Madeline Wuntch in new 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' promo
4
Jake 'The Snake' Roberts in intensive care with double pneumonia
5
'Longmire' canceled after three seasons on A&E
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback