HFPA: No Globes invite extended to Gervais

Feb. 1, 2011 at 7:51 PM   |   0 comments

| License Photo
VIDEO: The best of Gervais
VIDEO: The best of Gervais
LOS ANGELES, Feb. 1 (UPI) -- The Hollywood Foreign Press Association says it has not invited Ricky Gervais to serve as host of the Golden Globes for a third time.

Gervais' second stint as master of ceremonies of the film and television awards show last month was blasted by some critics who felt his jokes about celebrities and the association were too harsh.

Gervais, the British comedian who created TV's "The Office" and "Extras," wrote in a column for Heat magazine posted on his Web site Tuesday that he considers his gig as Globes host a success, but doesn't know if he would do it again if an offer is extended.

"The ratings went up again, and the organizers asked me to consider a third year," Gervais said.

"I don't think I should. ... I don't know what I could do better. I did exactly what I went to do ... . The response was staggering. ... The weird thing is the question is always, 'Did Ricky go too far?' And the answer is always, 'No.' I have yet to find anyone who was actually offended by (my jokes.)"

However, Phil Berk, the head of the association, told The Hollywood Reporter Tuesday Gervais has not been asked to return to the Golden Globes in 2012.

"There is no truth to this rumor. We have not asked him to come back. Nice try, Ricky," Berk said in a statement.

The trade newspaper said Gervais later clarified his remarks, stating NBC, not the press group, asked him not to rule out a third Globes gig as host.

"At no point did I talk to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. I'm absolutely sure they don't want me back," he said.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Trending News
Join the conversation
Most Popular
Photos
Video
x
Feedback