UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Mac's wife files wrongful death suit

  |
 
Actor Bernie Mac, seen here in this June, 27, 2007 file photo at the premier of the move "Transformers", died Saturday morning in a Chicago area hospital of complications from pneumonia, according to his publicist, August 9, 2008. Mac was 50 years old. (UPI Photo/Jim Ruymen/Files)
Actor Bernie Mac, seen here in this June, 27, 2007 file photo at the premier of the move "Transformers", died Saturday morning in a Chicago area hospital of complications from pneumonia, according to his publicist, August 9, 2008. Mac was 50 years old. (UPI Photo/Jim Ruymen/Files) 
License photo
Published: Aug. 6, 2010 at 4:59 PM

CHICAGO, Aug. 6 (UPI) -- Rhonda McCullough, Bernie Mac's wife, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the late comedian's dermatologist, court records show.

Mac, whose acting credits include the movie "Ocean's 11" and TV's "Bernie Mac Show," died of complications from pneumonia Aug. 9, 2008. He was 50.

In the lawsuit she filed last week in Cook County Circuit Court, McCullough alleges Rene M. Earles kept her husband at his clinic for nine hours July 17, 2008, instead of calling an ambulance to transport him to the hospital when he wasn't feeling well, the Chicago Sun-Times said.

McCullough claims Earles's failure "to recognize cardiopulmonary instability in Bernie" and "to recognize and act upon abnormal vital signs and signs of respiratory failure" set into motion a chain of events that led to Mac dying of pneumonia. McCullough is seeking at least $50,000 in damages.

However, Earles told the newspaper he talked to another of Mac's doctors as soon as he realized the star wasn't well, then sent him for additional treatment to a hospital by chauffeured car when the doctor told him Mac had pneumonia in both of his lungs.

Topics: Bernie Mac
© 2010 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Movies Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
If you leave your purse behind at a Foot Locker and it's got your cocaine inside, just let it go....
Catholics in America love the new pope. Catholic bishops in America, not so much
Hundreds of open container violations in Las Vegas thrown out due to lack of evidence
Saudi men who danced naked on a car and posted the video online now working on an even more kinky...
Not news: Home Depot fired employees to cut costs during hard economic times. News: They targeted...
Over the years Nobel laureates have used their prize money on everything from upgrading a motorbike...