The Los Angeles Times said Tuesday the justice ministry has been waiting for Polanski to exhaust his appeals of his sex-charge convictions.
An official from the ministry said Polanski will be able to appeal whatever decision is made on his transfer to Los Angeles.
Polanski, 76, was convicted of having sex with an underage girl more than 30 years ago and faces two years in a California state prison. He was placed under arrest by Swiss authorities acting on a Los Angeles warrant last year and has been restricted to his Swiss home while his legal appeals continue.
Polanski directed such notable films as "Chinatown," "Rosemary's Baby" and the 2010 release "The Ghostwriter."