LOS ANGELES, March 9 (UPI) -- Sony Music is getting ready to drop producer Dr. Luke, according to reports, over intense negative publicity related to singer Kesha's allegation that he abused and raped her.
Insiders say the controversial music maker, born Lukasz Gottwald, will be leaving the music company about a year before the end of his previously-agreed-upon five-year contract, according to The Wrap.
The move comes after singer Kesha failed to convince a judge to allow the termination of her contract with Gottwald's Kemosabe Records, prompting heavy pushback from the public and celebrities like Lady Gaga, Adele and Kelly Clarkson.
"There is no contest. Kesha has no case in regards to her contract but they can't afford the Adeles of the world out in the streets calling the label unsupportive," an insider familiar with Sony Music's management told The Wrap. "The fact that this hasn't already been taken care of with Luke is confusing, especially for people in the building."
Sony Music has yet to officially confirm the premature end of Dr. Luke's contract.
In 2014, Kesha accused Gottwald of sexual, physical and mental abuse and exploitation throughout her career, filing a suit asking to be freed from a contract signed when she was 18. Last week, Sony Music said it was "legally unable" to unbind itself from the contract with Kesha after a judge ruled the contract is binding.
Most recently, singer Kelly Clarkson commented on her experience working with Gottwald, saying he was "kind of demeaning" and difficult to work with. She explained she only worked with him because she was "blackmailed" by her label.
Gottwald has since taken to Twitter amid passionate protests both online and at Sony Music headquarters to defend himself, saying although he "can appreciate the compassion," of those standing up for Kesha, he did not rape her.
"I didn't rape Kesha and I have never had sex with her," Gottwald tweeted Feb. 22. "Kesha and I were friends for many years and she was like my little sister."