LOS ANGELES, May 15 (UPI) -- Justin Bieber defended himself on Twitter Tuesday night following reports that he was under investigation for attempted robbery in Los Angeles.
"It is hard to defend myself and my privacy every moment of the day," the 20-year-old pop star tweeted, along with a screen-grab of a TMZ story that cited a woman defending Bieber. "Then to see rumors. The truth will set u free".
Reports that the "Boyfriend" crooner had been accused of attempted robbery were confirmed by the LAPD Tuesday. While officials offered few details about the investigation, a woman told TMZ that Bieber attempted to take her phone after seeing her taking pictures of him and his group at Sherman Oaks Castle Park in the San Fernando Valley the day before.
The photo Bieber posted on Twitter offered a different version of the story, as told by a park employee who witnessed the altercation between the woman and the singer. According to the source, the woman was the instigator of Monday's incident, and Bieber "never got physical" or tried to grab her phone during the encounter.
"My mom raised me to be kind to others. I get judged, harassed, and I try to take the high road. Sometimes it isn't easy. But we keep trying," Bieber continued on Twitter. "I will continue to be the man my mother raised. I love people and I will try to be kind even when things are not fair. Don't believe rumors."
"Thanks for those who stick by me and those that help me grow everyday. I love you," he concluded.