facebook
twitter
search
search

Sept. 11 museum in NYC eight months from completion

Sept. 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM

NEW YORK, Sept. 8 (UPI) -- It will be another eight months before the museum at New York's Ground Zero is open for visitors, the president of the project said.

The anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack on the World Trade Center is this week, but the museum will not be completed in time.

"There is no doubt that it will be done by next spring in advance of the next anniversary," said Joe Daniels, president of the September 11th Memorial and Museum foundation.

The complex nature of the construction, which is taking place underground, has made for slow going, and there has been a dispute over financing with the Port Authority that CBS News said brought work to a halt for months last year.

The museum entrance includes massive steel girders from the World Trade Center as well as part of the staircase WTC workers used to evacuate one of the doomed towers.

Some of the museum exhibits, including rescue vehicles that were wrecked in the collapse, are already in place.

"I'd put us in the 75 percent-there stage, although this last 25 percent is some of the most difficult work, which is the installation of the exhibitory itself," Daniels said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kelly Clarkson, Ed Sheeran, Flo Rida to perform during Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular
Watch Kate Hudson sing 'The Star-Spangled Banner' for the 4th of July
Christopher Reeve's daughter gives birth to a son, names him Christopher
Pia Zadora and Cloris Leachman to trade lives for a week on 'Wife Swap'
Kelly Rutherford reunites with her children in New York City