STOCKHOLM, Sweden, March 11 (UPI) -- Princess Lilian of Sweden, a Welsh miner's daughter who was born and raised in Wales, died at her Stockholm home, Villa Solbacken, officials said. She was 97.
The Local.se said she died Sunday after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease.
Born Lilian May Davies in Swansea, Wales, she moved to London when she was 18, and worked as a fashion model and actress.
During World War II, she was employed in a factory that made radio antennae for the navy and later in a hospital tending to wounded soldiers.
She married British actor Ivan Craig in 1940, but he was shortly afterwards dispatched to fight in the desert war against German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel's Africa Corps, The Local said.
Lilian met Sweden's Prince Bertil -- grandson of Gustav V and son of Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf -- in 1943 at a London nightclub but the couple kept their romance quiet for years, even after Lilian and Craig divorced in 1945.
Because of her status as a divorced commoner, Lilian wasn't permitted to attend official celebrations until the 1970s and she and Bertil weren't allowed to marry until 1976 after King Gustaf VI Adolf had died.
The couple received the blessing of the young new king, Carl XVI Gustaf, and Lilian was given the title Her Royal Highness Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland. She then began attending royal engagements and became a popular and well-respected member of the Swedish royal family, The Local said.
After Bertil died in 1997, she continued working on behalf of organizations and charities that were important to him. She withdrew from public life in 2006 at the age of 91.
Hasselbeck not leaving 'The View'
"View" panelist Joy Behar announced last week she is leaving the program after 16 1/2 years to pursue other projects.
The announcement sparked subsequent reports saying Walters intends to retire from the show at the end of this season and Hasselbeck's contract won't be renewed for another season because viewers don't like her conservative opinions.
However, Walters emphasized Monday neither she nor Hasselbeck have any plans to leave the show.
"There is a particularly false story that keeps getting picked up about Elisabeth's alleged departure. They are saying we don't approve of her conservative views. The truth is, we love Elisabeth. I like her personally and she is just a wonderful person, but, beyond that, we value and appreciate her point of view. It's important to us because Elisabeth helps give this show perspective and balance. And, believe me, she's tougher than she looks. She would have to be to sit here for a decade and take the kind of guff we give her. So, we have no plans for Elisabeth to leave this show," Walters said as the studio audience cheered and clapped.
"Having said that to all of you, [executive producer] Bill Geddis and I have always said, when one of you makes the choice to leave, that's your choice and we will support your decision," Walters told co-hosts Behar, Hasselbeck, Whoopi Goldberg and Sherri Shepherd.
"But, right now, the only person who cannot leave this show is me."
Vince Neil treated for kidney stones
SYDNEY, March 11 (UPI) -- Motley Crue's manager says singer Vince Neil was hospitalized with kidney stones after playing only four songs at a show in Sydney Sunday night.
The 52-year-old rocker underwent surgery to treat the painful condition, band manager Allen Kovac told CNN.
"Vince is in the recovery room," Kovac said Sunday night. "All went well and we will know more soon. He has been having problems for the last few days with kidney stones."
"He was doubled over on his dressing room floor five minutes 'til show time and was told by the promoter to not even play, but Vince said he couldn't do that to the fans," Crue guitarist Nikki Sixx wrote on his Facebook page Sunday. "I've seen Vinnie go onstage with broken bones, his voice completely blown out and torn ligaments but he never ever cancels. Just like an athlete you sometimes have to play through the pain, but last night it became to excruciating."
The band is still scheduled to play Brisbane Tuesday, CNN said.
Bieber cancels Portugal show
LISBON, Portugal, March 11 (UPI) -- Canadian pop star Justin Bieber has canceled a concert scheduled Tuesday in Portugal because of unspecified "unforeseen circumstances."
Portuguese promoter, Everything is New, posted a statement on its website saying the show had been scrapped, E! News reported.
It said the concert was called off "due to unforeseen circumstances." No other details were immediately offered.
Bieber's Monday night show in Portugal was expected to go on as planned.
The 19-year-old singer was criticized last week for starting a show in London 2 hours late. The following night, he collapsed backstage at a concert, complaining of breathing problems.
Bieber wrapped up the week by swearing at and threatening to beat up a pesky paparazzo waiting outside his hotel.
Blake Lively's Christmas wish would bankrupt Ryan Reynolds
Exploding whale video goes viral on Internet