facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Winehouse died of alcohol poisoning

Oct. 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM   |   Comments

| License Photo
LONDON, Oct. 26 (UPI) -- Singer Amy Winehouse died of accidental alcohol poisoning after drinking more than five times Britain's drunk-driving limit, a British coroner said Wednesday.

Coroner Suzanne Greenway said the 27-year-old singer, who had a history of drug and alcohol abuse, had consumed a very large quantity of alcohol before her death in July.

Greenway, speaking at an inquest Wednesday in London, said a post-mortem examination of Winehouse's body found no traces of illegal drugs. She said the huge amounts of alcohol in her system could have caused her to stop breathing and fall into a coma.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Hayden Panettiere confirms pregnancy during ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
2
Spider-Woman #1 causes controversy with booty-centric cover art
3
Steven Tyler releases song from 'Sin City' soundtrack
4
Sara Bareilles to sing during Emmys 'In Memoriam' Tribute to Robin Williams
5
Mickey Rourke vital to 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For,' says Frank Miller
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback