MONTREAL, Aug. 11 (UPI) -- Celebrity Chef Gordon Ramsay of "Hell's Kitchen" fame opened his first Canadian restaurant in Montreal only to have fire sprinklers shut it down in hours.
The 44-year-old British chef known for his cursing in the television show wasn't at the upscale Laurier Gordon Ramsay restaurant Wednesday night for the grand opening when guests were doused by a fire sprinkler malfunction, The (Montreal) Gazette reported.
The eatery was evacuated and inspectors were scheduled to examine the system Thursday to see what caused it to activate, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. reported.
A news release said there was "limited damage" to the restaurant and a reopening date hadn't been determined.
Ramsay left Montreal Tuesday after a promotional party in which he described the new restaurant as "shabby chic" and "affordable glam," the Gazette said.