facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Rose Parade longtime entrant may leave

June 19, 2011 at 3:41 PM   |   Comments

GLENDALE, Calif., June 19 (UPI) -- Glendale, Calif., faced with an $18 million budget shortfall, may not be able to subsidize a float for the Tournament of Roses Parade, Glendale's mayor said.

If the Glendale City Council doesn't come through with $130,000 for its float entry, the city will cease its status as one of the longest-running entrants, the Los Angeles Times reported.

"It's a great thing, and the community does take pride in it. But at this time, we are talking about cutting programs for children in the parks. I think it's a luxury," Mayor Laura Friedman said at a recent budget meeting.

Although there's already a design in the works for the 2012 float, Glendale has yet to sign off on a $100,000 construction contract.

"The contract has to be signed soon because they have to begin building it now," said Glendale Councilman Dave Weaver, a longtime float advocate and chairman of last year's decorating committee.

"After 98 years, I'd hate to see it go down," Weaver said. "It's an integral part of Glendale."

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Hayden Panettiere confirms pregnancy during ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
2
Spider-Woman #1 causes controversy with booty-centric cover art
3
Steven Tyler releases song from 'Sin City' soundtrack
4
Sara Bareilles to sing during Emmys 'In Memoriam' Tribute to Robin Williams
5
Mickey Rourke vital to 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For,' says Frank Miller
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback