facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

People in the news

Feb. 25, 2011 at 4:00 AM

| License Photo
The latest news on today's hottest celebrities ...

CHARLIE SHEEN: CBS and Warner Bros. Television say they're scrapping the U.S. sitcom "Two and a Half Men" for the rest of the season because of Charlie Sheen's erratic behavior.

Sheen went on a tirade on radio's "The Alex Jones Show" Thursday, insulting numerous organizations and people, including "Men" creator Chuck Lorre.

"There's something this side of deplorable that a certain Chaim Levine -- yeah, that's Chuck's real name -- mistook this rock star for his own selfish exit strategy, bro," Sheen said on the radio show. "Check it, Alex: I embarrassed him in front of his children and the world by healing at a pace that his unevolved mind cannot process. Last I checked, Chaim, I spent close to the last decade effortlessly and magically converting your tin cans into pure gold. And the gratitude I get is this charlatan chose not to do his job, which is to write. Clearly someone who believes he's above the law."

The show's producers fired back at Sheen just hours later.

"Based on the totality of Charlie Sheen's statements, conduct and condition, CBS and Warner Bros. Television have decided to discontinue production of 'Two and a Half Men' for the remainder of the season," the show's producers said in a statement issued to The Hollywood Reporter.

The series had been on hiatus while Sheen undergoes treatment for drug and alcohol addiction on an outpatient basis. The sitcom was slated to go back into production next week.

Sheen responded to the cancellation with an open letter that was posted on TMZ Thursday night.

"What does this say about Haim Levine (Chuck Lorre) after he tried to use his words to judge and attempt to degrade me. I gracefully ignored this folly for 177 shows," Sheen wrote. "I fire back once and this contaminated little maggot can't handle my power and can't handle the truth. I wish him nothing but pain in his silly travels especially if they wind up in my octagon. Clearly I have defeated this earthworm with my words -- imagine what I would have done with my fire breathing fists. I urge all my beautiful and loyal fans who embraced this show for almost a decade to walk with me side-by-side as we march up the steps of justice to right this unconscionable wrong. Remember these are my people ... not yours...we will continue on together."


LINDSAY LOHAN: A Los Angeles judge has told actress Lindsay Lohan he will sentence her to jail if she makes a plea deal with prosecutors over her alleged theft of a necklace.

Lohan, 24, is accused of stealing the $2,500 gold bauble from a boutique, but insists someone at the store lent it to her.

Judge Keith Schwartz told the "Mean Girls" and "Freaky Friday" star Wednesday at Airport Courthouse she must plead guilty or no contest to felony grand theft charges in a plea deal or a date will be set for a preliminary hearing in the matter before another judge, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The actress must decide what she wants to do by her next court date March 10.

"This case does involve jail time -- period," the Times quoted Schwartz as saying. "If you plead in front of me -- if this case resolves in front of me -- you are going to jail. Period. It may be an issue as to amount of time."

Lohan has spent several stints in jail and rehab in connection with a 2007 driving under the influence conviction.

If convicted of stealing the necklace, her probation could be revoked and she may have to serve additional jail time, media reports have said.


RICKY GERVAIS: Ricky Gervais, the British comedian criticized for being too harsh on celebrities as host of the Golden Globes, says he won't watch Sunday's Oscars ceremony.

Gervais offered on his blog Thursday some advice about emceeing the event to co-hosts Anne Hathaway and James Franco.

"I hope my contribution will be helpful to the organizers of The Academy (of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences)," Gervais told The Hollywood Reporter, referring to the wisdom he offered on his blog. "I won't know if they use any of my material or not, as I will be unable to watch the ceremony this Sunday."

As for why he will be unable to screen the Los Angeles prize presentation for achievements in film in 2010, Gervais, an atheist, said, "I am forbidden to work on the Sabbath. ... I pleaded with my Bishop, 'But surely watching the Oscars counts as pleasure.' My Bishop replied, 'Then you are a bigger (expletive) than you look my son.'"


PAUL McCARTNEY: Popular British rock 'n' roll musician and singer Paul McCartney says he is penning an original orchestral score for a performance by the New York City Ballet.

"Ocean's Kingdom," a 50-minute production featuring 40 dancers, is to premiere Sept. 22, the BBC reported Thursday.

"I am always interested in new directions that I haven't worked in before, so I became very excited about the idea," the British broadcaster quoted the 68-year-old former Beatle as saying.

"The sheer athleticism is the most astounding thing. It's like a meeting of the Olympic Games and art, and I find that fascinating and challenging for me, to see what can be done."

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended Stories
Most Popular
1
Jennifer Aniston surprised by Justin Theroux during photo shoot
2
Jessica Alba covers Maxim in bikini, talks self-confidence
3
Gisele Bundchen poses with her dog during beach vacation
4
Beyonce Knowles shares family photo amid divorce rumors
5
Amy Winehouse's dad to release new album for charity
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback