UPI NewsTrack Entertainment News

July 14, 2009 at 2:00 PM   |   0 comments

Grieving Liz Taylor is hospitalized

LOS ANGELES, July 14 (UPI) -- Former screen icon Elizabeth Taylor has been hospitalized in Los Angeles, following the death of her longtime friend Michael Jackson.

The New York Post said before Jackson at 50 died last month, the 77-year-old actress had been planning to attend the comeback concert he was to perform in London Monday.

Post columnist Cindy Adams said Taylor, who has been weeping uncontrollably since Jackson died, is weak and exhausted and was hospitalized Monday.

In addition to grieving over the loss of her friend, the "National Velvet," "Giant," and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" star also is upset the Jackson family "denied her access to their funeral pews and barred her from the events because she was Michael's friend, not theirs," Adams wrote in her column Tuesday.

The Jackson family held a private viewing and funeral for Michael last week and attended a public televised memorial at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The singer died June 25 of cardiac arrest after a suspected prescription drug overdose.


'Bruno' edited for young U.K. audiences

LONDON, July 14 (UPI) -- Sacha Baron Cohen's raunchy big-screen comedy "Bruno" has been edited for under-18 audiences in the United Kingdom, the BBC reported.

The R-rated film was No. 1 at the U.S. box office and raked in more than $30 million when it was released last weekend. Universal Pictures said the movie also has earned an estimated $8 million at the U.K. and Ireland box office since it opened July 12.

The BBC said a 15-rated edition and one with an 18 certificate will be available in U.K. theaters as of July 24, marking the first time two versions of the same movie will be in cinemas at the same time in Great Britain.

Universal told the BBC it cut a minute and 50 seconds from the original edit of the mockumentary, which is about a flamboyant Austrian fashionista, after U.K. theaters reported turning away hordes of teenagers during its opening weekend.


Designer not working with Gosselin

NEW YORK, July 14 (UPI) -- Christian Audigier's publicist denied reports the Ed Hardy fashion designer was collaborating with U.S. reality TV star Jon Gosselin on a kids' fashion line.

Media reports claimed Audigier and the "Jon & Kate Plus 8" star were hammering out a deal during the weekend.

"Christian is absolutely not starting a kids' clothing line with Jon," Audigier's representative told Usmagazine.com. "As of right now, there is no clothing line in the works between them at all."

Gosselin, who frequently wears Ed Hardy clothes on his show, reportedly was spotted hanging out with his 22-year-old girlfriend Hailey Glassman on board Audigier's yacht in St. Tropez in the French Riviera during the weekend.

Gosselin and his wife, Kate, recently announced plans to divorce.


Mira Sorvino gives birth to 3rd child

LOS ANGELES, July 14 (UPI) -- Actress Mira Sorvino has confirmed she gave birth to her third child in Los Angeles after a difficult pregnancy.

The Oscar winner told People.com son Holden Paul Terry Backus was born June 22 and weighed 8 pounds, 12 ounces.

He is the third child for the "Mighty Aphrodite" star and her actor husband Christopher Backus. The couple are also the parents of a 4-year-old daughter named Mattea and a 3-year-old son called Johnny.

"We are overjoyed to bring our beautiful healthy son home to his brother and sister," Sorvino and Backus said in a statement issued to People magazine Monday. "We are blessed to have a home filled with so much love."

During her third pregnancy, the 41-year-old actress reportedly suffered placenta previa for which she was hospitalized for weeks, then placed on complete bed rest.

"I developed a blood clot (DVT) due to all the inactivity and had to be anti-coagulated for months to prevent a pulmonary embolism," Sorvino told People.com. "I spent another two-and-a-half weeks at the hospital, during which time, missing the children and my husband and knowing what the separation was doing to the kids became almost unbearable. Prior to this nine-week hospital stay, I had only ever spent one night away from Johnny and Mattea."

The actress said that as soon as she held Holden in her arms, she knew "it had all been worth it."

"He is my miracle baby. With everything that threatened this pregnancy and both of our lives, he came out of it completely unscathed: perfectly healthy, beautiful and wonderful," Sorvino added.

Topics: Mira Sorvino
© 2009 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Trending News
Join the conversation
x
Feedback