The announcement ends weeks of speculation that the parents of twins and sextuplets and the subjects of TLC's "Jon & Kate Plus Eight" series were splitting up.
People.com reported Monday Kate had filed for divorce earlier in the day.
An hour-long episode of "Jon & Kate," in which the couple confirmed their decision to separate, aired Monday night.
"Over the course of this weekend, Jon's activities have left me no choice but to file legal procedures in order to protect myself and our children," Kate explained in a statement issued to People.com Monday night. "While there are reasons why it was appropriate and necessary for me to initiate this proceeding, I do not wish to discuss those reasons at this time, in the hope that all issues will be resolved amicably between Jon and myself. As always, my first priority remains our children."
"This afternoon, Kate filed for divorce. Our kids are still my No. 1 priority," Jon said in a separate statement Monday night. "I love them and want to make sure they stay happy, healthy and safe. My job is being the best, most supportive and loving father that I can be to my kids, and not being married to Kate doesn't change that. ... I am, of course, deeply saddened that we are divorcing."
Usmagazine.com said Tuesday 10.6 million viewers watched Monday's episode. The show's previous highest-rated installment was its Season 5 debut Memorial Day, which attracted 9.8 million watchers.
TLC announced Tuesday it has halted production on the series until August to give the family "some time off to regroup," Usmagazine.com said.
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]