account
search
search

Lawyer: Zsa Zsa among Madoff's victims

  |   Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:25 PM
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 25 (UPI) -- Hollywood actress Zsa Zsa Gabor lost at least $7 million invested through businessman Bernard Madoff, accused of operating a Ponzi scheme, her lawyer said.

Madoff is accused of running a decades-long scheme that may have cost investors $50 billion. Gabor's attorney said the actress had discovered her losses in the last few weeks, the BBC reported Sunday.

Gabor, 91 -- the Hungarian-born star of such films such as "Moulin Rouge," "Lili" and "Touch of Evil" -- suffered a stroke four years ago.

Among other Hollywood figures who have reportedly lost money in their investment with Madoff are director Steven Spielberg, actor Kevin Bacon and his wife, actress Kyra Sedgwick.

Madoff is a former chairman of the Nasdaq stock market. He was arrested and charged last month. He faces up to 20 years in prison and millions of dollars in fines.

© 2009 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback