facebook
twitter
search
search

Slain boy's photo turns up on soap opera

Oct. 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM

NEW YORK, Oct. 31 (UPI) -- The family of a Georgia boy who was kidnapped, raped and killed last year says it is upset his picture was used on a nighttime soap opera.

A photo of Christopher Barrios, 6, who was killed in 2007, was used as a prop in a scene on "General Hospital: Night Shift," WKMG-TV, Orlando, reported.

Christopher's grandmother, Sue Rodriquez, said the show had no right to use the boy's photograph.

"Oh, my God, have mercy," Rodriquez told the station, adding she cried when she saw the clip of the soap opera featuring the photo of her dead grandson. "They ain't got no right doing that -- not a bit of right. ... That's our baby."

Rodriguez said she wanted to know who gave permission to use his picture.

"I'm glad I don't watch this kind of mess -- soap operas -- because if I had seen Christopher's picture on there, I would have gone nuts," Rodriquez said.

SOAPnet, the channel on which the ABC-produced show airs, issued an apology for using the photo.

"While the production team would never have knowingly chosen this particular photo, its use was a terrible error," SOAPnet said. "We offer our deepest condolences to the Barrios family for their loss and our sincerest apologies for any pain caused by our mistake. In the coming weeks, SOAPnet will air a series of public service announcements in Christopher's honor, to raise awareness of missing and exploited children. Meanwhile, the episode is being edited to permanently remove the photo."

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Malia Obama spotted on the set of 'Girls' in New York City
Tiffani Thiessen gives birth to son, shares first photo on Instagram
Stephen Colbert hosts Michigan public-access show 'Only in Monroe'
Are Nicolle Wallace and Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'?
Tim McGraw is giving away 36 mortgage-free homes to veterans