facebook
twitter
search
search

Quaid: Hospital didn't call about overdose

Jan. 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 15 (UPI) -- U.S. actor Dennis Quaid said a Los Angeles hospital didn't call to inform him his newborn twins had been given an overdose of the blood thinner heparin.

Quaid said he learned of the error the morning after it happened when he went to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center to visit his children, the Los Angeles Times reported.

"Our kids could have been dying, and we wouldn't have been able to come down to the hospital to say goodbye," Quaid told the Times in an exclusive interview.

The actor recalled how he was met at the door of the children's hospital room by a pediatrician, a nurse and a representative of the hospital's risk management department, and told about the heparin overdose and what its effects are. He was also informed his children were given an antidote.

Quaid and his wife, Kimberly, also said they suspect someone at the hospital leaked information to the media and, because of that, family members they tried to shield from the news heard the story after TMZ.com reported it.

After spending 11 days in intensive care, however, little Thomas and Zoe appear to have made a full recovery, he said, adding, "We have our babies back, and they seem to be doing great."

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Topics: Dennis Quaid
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Michael Douglas' mother Diana Douglas Webster dead at 92
Billy Joel marries pregnant girlfriend Alexis Roderick at his Long Island estate
USA Network renews 'Suits' for a sixth season
'Jurassic World' is still the No. 1 movie in North America for a fourth weekend
David Walliams and Jessica Raine to star in 'Agatha Christie's Partners in Crime' series