Talks resume in Broadway stagehands strike

Nov. 17, 2007 at 6:25 PM   |   Comments

NEW YORK, Nov. 17 (UPI) -- A fresh round of talks Saturday between Broadway producers and stagehands had some expressing hope the New York strike might end soon.

Stage actors and directors alike said the negotiations could signal progress toward settling the strike, which has shut down more than two dozen Broadway productions, NY1 reported.

"I think spirits are higher today than they have been during the last week, because people know that there may be a resolution in sight tomorrow morning," said John Lloyd Young, star of the Broadway musical "Jersey Boys."

"I think everybody's had a taste of how tough it can be on Broadway with no Broadway," said Actors' Equity Association Executive Director John Connolly. "And everybody -- producers and workers and artists -- all want to go back to work."

Stagehands and producers have been deadlocked over work rules that allow stagehands to collect paychecks for unnecessary services.

Stagehands walked out last Saturday, bringing the curtain down on all but eight Broadway productions.

Stagehands Saturday were mourning the death of Frank Lavaia, the head propmaster for "The Lion King." Lavaia died of a heart attack at 56 Friday night while walking a picket line.

© 2007 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Trending News
x
Feedback