NEW YORK, Nov. 5 (UPI) -- TV satirist Stephen Colbert said he is saddened he won't be included on South Carolina's presidential primary ballot, People.com reported Monday.
The South Carolina Democratic Party's executive committee voted 13-3 last week not to include Colbert on their ballot.
Colbert reportedly was not chosen because he failed to fulfill two basic criteria -- be acknowledged by the press as a viable nationwide candidate and be actively campaigning for the South Carolina primary.
"I want to say to my supporters, this is not over," Colbert said in a statement released Monday. "While I may accept the decision of the council, the fight goes on! The dream endures! ... And I am going off the air until I can talk about this without weeping."
Production on his popular Comedy Central show, "The Colbert Report," has halted, but People.com pointed out that is likely due to the the Writers Guild of America strike that officially began Monday.
"Although I lost by the slimmest margin in presidential election history -- only 10 votes -- I have chosen not to put the country through another agonizing Supreme Court battle," Colbert said. "It is time for this nation to heal."