facebook
twitter
search
search

Disney to spend $1.1B on Adventure re-do

Oct. 17, 2007 at 9:57 AM

ANAHEIM, Calif., Oct. 17 (UPI) -- The Walt Disney Co. planned to spend $1.1 billion on a makeover for its California Adventure theme park, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The budget for the overhaul is higher than what Disney spent to build the park six years ago.

Disney hopes the new design and attractions will increase the struggling park's popularity and clarify its identity.

About 6 million people visited the park last year. By comparison, about 15 million bought tickets to Disneyland.

"They're trying to give it some heart," a person familiar with the plan told the Times. "Right now, you go through California Adventure once and that's about it."

Rob Doughty, a Disneyland spokesman, declined to comment on the report.

Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger scheduled a new conference to explain details.

Favorite California Adventure attractions, including the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, will remain but the park will also get new ones based on Pixar animated films like "Cars" and "Toy Story."

The entrance plaza will also be redesigned and iconic structures reminiscent of old-time Hollywood will be added, the newspaper said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Topics: Bob Iger
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Chrissy Teigen goes topless for W magazine
Nicole Scherzinger spotted kissing Pajtim Kasami
Amy Schumer could become 'The Bachelorette,' host Chris Harrison agrees to her terms
Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premier
Jimmy Kimmel interviews kids about gay marriage, says SCOTUS ruling will 'ruin being gay'