HENDERSONVILLE, Tenn., April 10 (UPI) -- A spark igniting wood preservative fumes likely caused a fire at the home of the late Johnny and June Carter Cash, Hendersonville, Tenn., officials said.
Three hours after firefighters were alerted to the blaze Tuesday, the roof collapsed and flames and smoke billowed from the home undergoing renovation, charring trees and grass that surrounded the structure, The (Nashville) Tennessean said. Inside, all that could be seen standing was metal scaffolding.
Hendersonville Fire Chief Jamie Steele said the home's multi-leveled design made it difficult for firefighters. Also, the nearest hydrant was several blocks away.
"For a firefighter, when you hear unique it's going to be hard. All the things that made it a unique and attractive home made it harder to fight the fire," Steele said.
"We've got a pretty good idea what happened," Steele said, adding he would provide more information about the fire Wednesday.
One firefighter suffered minor injuries. All the workmen escaped the flames.