Newsman Woodruff bounces back

June 14, 2006 at 11:58 PM

NEW YORK, June 14 (UPI) -- Television news anchor Bob Woodruff, 45, who was wounded in a January bomb explosion in Iraq, made a surprise visit to ABC's New York newsroom.

Woodruff was unconscious for 36 days after the attack, the New York Post reported. There had been reports his injuries slurred his speech and movement, but Woodruff seemed unaffected during his studio visit.

"I woke up in this hospital and I looked up and I just thought about you guys and I thought about everything I wanted badly to come back to," Woodruff told colleagues on Tuesday.

His return was covered on "World News Tonight" -- which he anchored at the time of his injury in Iraq. The show is now being anchored by Charles Gibson.

"There was barely a dry eye" to greet him, the Post reported.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
John Goodman shows off slim physique at 'Trumbo' screening
Bella Hadid and brother Anwar battle chronic Lyme disease, mother says
Jena Dewan shares topless photos taken by husband Channing Tatum
Celebrity airport style: What the famous wear when they travel
'Dancing With the Stars': Kim Zolciak to undergo heart surgery