facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Courtney Love sells Nirvana songs

March 31, 2006 at 2:25 PM   |   Comments

LOS ANGELES, March 31 (UPI) -- Courtney Love has sold 25 percent of Nirvana's publishing rights for more $50 million, Rolling Stone reported Friday.

Love inherited 98 percent of the group's publishing rights when her husband, Kurt Cobain, killed himself in 1994. The other 2 percent was split between former Cobain bandmates, Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl, Rolling Stone said.

Love told the magazine she sold a quarter of her share to former Virgin Records General Manager Larry Mestel, now of Primary Wave Music Publishing.

Love said she took Mestel on as "a strategic partner" because managing the estate herself was "overwhelming."

"The affairs of Nirvana are so massive and so huge, and they've all fallen on my lap. I own almost all of (the publishing) ... and it proved to be too much for me," she told Rolling Stone.

"I needed a partner to take Kurt Cobain's songs and bring them into the future and into the next generation. And this guy's the guy to do it."

Sources said Mestel probably paid more than $50 million for the rights.

© 2006 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Kendra Wilkinson to Hank Baskett: 'It's divorce time!' Kendra Wilkinson to Hank Baskett: 'It's divorce time!'
2
Renee Zellweger responds to criticism of her new look Renee Zellweger responds to criticism of her new look
3
Amber Rose declares her love for Wiz Khalifa Amber Rose declares her love for Wiz Khalifa
4
Justin Timberlake, Jessica Biel settle lawsuit against Heat magazine Justin Timberlake, Jessica Biel settle lawsuit against Heat magazine
5
Elizabeth Pena died of complications from alcohol abuse Elizabeth Pena died of complications from alcohol abuse
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback