Nick and Mary Yankovic died Friday from carbon monoxide poisoning in their Fallbrook, Calif., home. Officials blame a controlled fire burning in the house without an open flue for the accident.
"I've heard from so many people over the years that my music has cheered them up in times of tragedy," the singer wrote on his official Web site. "Well, I thought maybe my music would help me, too."
Yankovic said he doesn't know if the concerts will help take his mind off the loss of his parents, but he added, "At least they give me a break from sobbing all the time."
The singer also urged people to buy carbon monoxide detectors for themselves and those they love. "If my parents had had one in their home, there's a very good chance that they would still be with us today," he said.
Yankovic appeared in Grand Forks, N.D., Monday and is scheduled to continue through May 2 in Pompano Beach, Fla.
After taking a break, he will perform from July 20 through July 24 at the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa, Calif.
Wisconsin business offering 'therapeutic cuddling' forced to close
Reindeer recovered after escaping from Santa during lighting ceremony