UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Lockheed focused on South Korean jet re-tender

  |
 
Published: Sept. 26, 2013 at 6:01 AM

SEOUL, Sept. 26 (UPI) -- Lockheed Martin said it will continue with its bid to land a major South Korean jet fighter contract when the deal is re-tendered.

The deal, in which Seoul required a contractor to deliver 60 jets over five years beginning in 2017, was a race between the Boeing's F-15 Silent Eagle, Lockheed Martin's F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter and EADS' Eurofighter Typhoon.

Lockheed, ahead of EADS, was thought to have been nudged out of the deal by Boeing's Silent Eagle.

But South Korea's military defense procurement agency, the Defense Acquisition Program Administration, announced Tuesday it wasn't completely satisfied with Boeing's offer.

Boeing came close to grabbing the contract with the cheapest offer, but DAPA said it will review its budget for the jet fighter deal and re-tender later this year.

Lockheed's Stealth aircraft were offered through a government-to-government sales process, meaning there was less room to negotiate on price.

Boeing and EADS aircraft were offered through direct sales to South Korea.

A statement by Lockheed after DAPA's decision said the aircraft maker "will continue to support the U.S. government in its offer of the F-35A to Korea."

DAPA's decision caps an intense bidding campaign for all three manufacturers.

There were 55 bidding sessions in June and July, but DAPA suspended bidding in mid-July over concerns that manufacturers' bids were higher than the budgeted $7.2 billion.

DAPA restarted bidding in mid-August, reiterating that its budget limit is the most important requirement for a successful bid.

Last month, a report by Yonhap News Agency said the contract was noted for its extreme bidding war following drastic cutbacks in military spending in the United States and Europe.

DAPA's decision leaves South Korea with an aging fleet of McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom and Northrop F-5 aircraft for at least another year.

South Korean Defense Ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok, announcing the cancellation of the tender, said DAPA committee members rejected Boeing's F-15 SE and are set to restart the project because of a "consensus that South Korea ... needs to deter the growing threat posed by North Korea."

Boeing's Silent Eagle failed to overcome its inadequate stealth capabilities to win the $7.2 billion deal amid growing regional security concerns, Yonhap reported this week after DAPA's announcement.

South Korea now will have to wait longer for suitable air defense protection but political and military climate in Southeast Asia has changed since the tender first went out, the Yonhap article said.

The need to acquire the most advanced jet took on new urgency as North Korea conducted its third nuclear test in February and continues to develop its missile program.

Japan and China are at loggerheads over disputed maritime territories in the region.

Japan signed a deal last year to buy 42 F-35s, with the first four planes to be delivered in 2017.

The Yonhap article pointed out that China boosting its strength by developing its own stealth jet -- the J-20 now in development -- and launched its first aircraft carrier last year.

Russia also is preparing its first advanced T-50 fighter jets, built by Russia's biggest defense contractor, Sukhoi, this year.

Boeing's successful bid was based on its claim that the F-15 had survivability, not stealth, in its favor -- a dual-engine power plant and and impressive arsenal.

Yonhap said experts believe the cancellation of the tender favors the F-35 because of growing calls for stealth technology to counter these threats.

Topics: F-35 Lightning II
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Security Industry Stories
Video
1 of 17
NLDS St. Louis Cardinals at Pittsburgh Pirates in Pittsburgh
View Caption
St. Louis Cardinals starter Joe Kelly delivers a pitch through the sunlight in the first inning of game 3 of the NLDS against the at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on October 6, 2013. The series is tied at one game each. UPI/Pat Benic
fark
There are horrible, tasteless ways to tease your newscast. And then there's this
Spending over a decade studying and training to attain one of the most respected and valued jobs...
FARK party in Chicago. Monday, October 7. Going to the Art Museum, getting pizza and drinking (OF...
Neighbors say that the arrest of a crack-dealing elderly woman has made their neighborhood a better...
Rabbit ruins man's sex life
Sexual deviancy is normal, claims sexual deviant