SYRACUSE, N.Y., April 1 (UPI) -- Electronic warfare defense systems on U.S. Navy warships are being upgraded by Lockheed Martin under a $57 million low-rate production contract.
The AN/SLQ-32(V)2, which protects against anti-ship missile threats, will be given enhanced capabilities to determine if electronic sensors of an enemy asset are tracking the vessels.
"The Navy's Surface Electronic Warfare Improvement Program Block 2 upgrade will ensure the AN/SLQ-32 system continues to outpace the threat and establishes a framework to easily install future upgrades," said Joe Ottaviano, SEWIP program director for Lockheed Martin Mission Systems and Training.
"The system is the first sensor to be fully compliant with the Navy's Product Line Architecture strategy, which facilitates the rapid introduction of new technology into the fleet. By using commercial-off-the-shelf components, we provide additional cost savings and ease of maintenance for sailors."
Lockheed said it was awarded a contract in 2009 to develop SEWIP Block 2. Two engineering and development models successfully passed integration and testing.
Lockheed and Raytheon, the original developer of the AN/SLQ-32, said last year they were working together to pursue the Navy's competitive SEWIP Block 3 program for upgraded electronic attack electronic warfare capabilities.